We all have got our medical check ups done at some point of time. Have you ever noticed that when we go for a complete check up, we sometimes detect health issues which are otherwise unrecognisable. A random full body check can help in prevention of so many possible health conditions. This is exactly why all of us should get a health check up done every 6 months.
When a blood test is capable of detecting so much, imagine the potential of advanced tests like colonoscopy or endoscopies. People generally assume that these tests are used for detection of only one or two health conditions, however, that is not always true.
An advanced test like colonoscopy can be used for identifying a number of illnesses. In colonoscopy the doctors insert a tiny video camera via a flexible tube in the colon of the patient. This test helps in paying close attention to the colon condition which is essential to detect the healthiness levels of the organ.
Colonoscopy is generally used for identification and prevention of colon cancer, but this is not the only purpose of this advanced test. There are various health situations with or without symptoms that can be identified via the colon endoscopy. These are mentioned as follows:
- Colorectal Cancer – This disease occurs when the cells of the colon become cancerous. Cancer is a fatal disease, and when it comes to colon cancer this risk is higher. The main issue with colon cancer lies in its detection. The major symptoms for this fatal illness arise only at a later stage making it a tough nut to crack.
- Precancerous Tumors – Our colon is functioning 24*7. It is obvious that complications arise in it. One such problem found in a number of patients is of precancerous tumors also known as polyps. These are tiny clots that develop in the colon wall. If detected and removed during colonoscopy they are riskless but if not then these can turn into cancer at later stages.
- Ulcerative Colitis – This disease impacts the innermost lining of the colon. It causes inflammation in the digestive tract. Also causes ulcer which can be extremely troublesome. One thing that you must know about this one is that it is not a condition that arises suddenly, instead it occurs over a period of time. So if one is regular with their scans, there are high chances of keeping this one at bay.
- Hiatal Hernia – In this the upper portion of the stomach bulges into the chest area through the diaphragm. This is a scenario which can be detected with endoscopy and not with colonoscopy. However, the main process of inserting a video camera remains more or less the same.
- Stomach Cancer – Just as the name suggests, it is the cancer that affects the stomach. It can develop in any area of the stomach. Just like any other cancer, stomach cancer also shows no symptoms in the early stage but at later stages the symptoms include, nausea, bloating, heartburn, etc. Like Hiatal Hernia, this too is identified with the help of endoscopy.
- Esophageal Cancer – Esophageal is the long tube that connects the throat to the stomach. Any tumor that develops here and turns cancerous causes esophageal cancer. Sudden weight loss, chest pain, discomfort while swallowing are the commonly observed symptoms. The presence of this cancer is also highlighted when one undergoes an endoscopy. Like all other cancers, this too if identified on the onset can be cured and if delayed can be fatal for the patient.
As the colonoscopy is capable of detecting and preventing so many serious illnesses, it is always recommended that people should go for this test at regular intervals, especially when they are above 50 years of age.
Colonoscopy Santa Monica ca is a well equipped place with immense experience of treating patients facing gastrointestinal tract issues. They aim to provide the utmost level of care to their patients in order to help them heal quickly. If you are a patient with gastrointestinal tract issues, it is important for you to get your tests done in order to find the root cause of the discomfort. For this all you need to do is get in touch with Colonoscopy Santa Monica ca.