The Queen spent Wednesday night in hospital after cancelling a visit to Northern Ireland, Buckingham Palace has said.
A spokesman said she was admitted for “preliminary investigations” – but returned to Windsor Castle at lunchtime on Thursday and “remains in good spirits”.
The 95-year-old monarch was treated at the private King Edward VII Hospital in central London, in what was her first overnight hospital stay in eight years.
Sky’s royal correspondent, Rhiannon Mills, said Her Majesty’s admission was not related to COVID-19 – and she was back at her desk doing some light work by Thursday afternoon.
The Queen had undertaken a string of engagements in recent weeks, but had been given medical advice to rest for a few days.
On Tuesday evening, Her Majesty had attended an event at Windsor Castle, where she was seen alongside Prince Charles, Prince William and Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
During the event, she also shook hands with Bill Gates and US climate envoy John Kerry.
The following day, she had been due to attend a service marking the centenary of the partition of Ireland and the formation of Northern Ireland.
In a statement at the time, Buckingham Palace said the Queen had “reluctantly accepted” the medical advice to rest – adding she was “disappointed” about being unable to make the trip.
Her Majesty’s last stay in hospital happened in 2013, when she had suffered a nasty bout of gastroenteritis. She had successful surgery to treat an eye cataract in 2018, and also had a knee operation in 2003.
Next year, the Queen will celebrate 70 years on the throne – and although she continues to carry out official engagements, she has handed more duties to Prince Charles.
Earlier this month, she was seen using a walking stick for support in public for the first time.
The Queen appeared to be in good health during Tuesday’s drink reception – and earlier this week, it emerged the monarch had turned down an award that would have named her Oldie of the Year.
According to an aide, Her Majesty believes “you are as old as you feel” – and she felt that she did not meet the “relevant criteria” for the trophy.
Analysis by Rhiannon Mills, royal correspondent
It’s not something the palace would necessarily have wanted to tell us about – but a story in a newspaper has probably forced its hand.
Yes, it may sound alarming that the Queen was taken to hospital for preliminary tests – after all, moments of illness have been rare during her reign.
But I understand the doctors at the King Edward VII Hospital, where the royals always go and where Prince Philip was treated, were being cautious and her overnight stay was for practical reasons.
With the monarch now 95 years old, it’s not surprising that the medical team wouldn’t want to rush anything.
We also know that it isn’t related to COVID.
The palace is stressing that she is in good spirits – and after getting back to Windsor at lunchtime on Thursday, she was back at her desk doing light work.
The public engagements may be easy to cancel so she can rest, but the red boxes full of official papers are still delivered daily.
The Queen, like the rest of the Royal Family and like most of us, would rather keep her medical matters as private as possible – but when you are the head of state, it is inevitable the world would want to know if you’re unwell and send their best wishes.
But don’t expect the palace to volunteer any more information than they have to. One of the most famous women in the world is still entitled to her medical privacy.
Denial of responsibility! News Verve is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – email@example.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.